Saturday, June 15, 2013

Walking for a Cause

So, one day the girls and I were doing school.  My mom called from work and double checked my email address and said she was sending me something.  I said "okay" and she hung up.  A few minutes later, I checked my email and found a medical report of hers that stated among other things "extensive intraductal carcinoma with infiltrating lesion"  in other words....she has breast cancer.  Talk about feeling like you have been punched in the gut.  I cried from the absolute pit of my stomach.  The same way I cry when someone I love dearly dies.  To me, that was my fear.  I only have one other experience with breast cancer and that was a friend of mine who didn't have a good outcome.  Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it.  She is as the feet of Jesus right now so that is a good thing, just happened too soon from our human perspectives.  My mind went straight to her and that's all I could see for my sweet momma.

Rock on a bit and we met with the breast cancer surgeon who got the ball rolling quickly.  She was soon scheduled for a mastectomy.  And I am so grateful to say, the path report was as good as could be expected.  No lymph node involvement and they believe that the surgery got it all.  The oncologist did other tests that determined according to the DNA of her cancer the likelihood of reoccurance is minimal and she wouldn't need chemo.  PRAISE THE LORD!!!  He has/is sooooo good to us!!!

Mom works for Neurosurgery and Spine Associates in Montgomery (Dr's Bradley, Kendrick, and Pirofsky).  They (as well as the entire office) were so incredibly supportive of my mom.  They sponsored her in the Walk for Life.  Here are some pictures of some of those great people!!!
The folks from Mom's office.  We all said how great it will be to do this walk again next year WITH her!!

The shirts they made for her with her initials in the heart.

Here we go.....

A turn at the Capital....
 
Finally :)
 I just cannot thank everyone enough.  Y'all will forever hold a special place in my heart for loving and supporting my mom the way you have!! 

No comments: