Saturday, October 5, 2013

Behind Again....

I haven't posted a single thing since school began.  Must mean I'm a little bit busy ;)  Let me say, that previous sentence was an understatement.  I fly from the moment I arise to the moment I collapse at night.  So, these post will be more abbreviated than I had anticipated them to be.  I had hoped to go into detail with every little thing....blah, blah, blah....not gonna happen.  So, let's get started!

Learning Games

My next door neighbor school teacher took a new job this year and we were the beneficiaries of several new learning games.  Here is a picture of Leah doing one about patterns and Ella with compound words.  They love playing these games and it makes learning so much fun.  Thank you, Mrs. Stacy for these great games!!

 

Catching Butterflies

One of the many things I love about homeschooling is the ability to stop and take advantage of whatever gift God is showing us at the moment.  Leah had gone outside to take a break and came back in screaming about the biggest butterfly ever while running to her room to get the butterfly net.  So we went outside, captured it, studied it, and then let it go.  It was a nice moment in the day just to watch the wonder and excitement in them over God's creation :)




Making Pottery

One of our projects was to make some pottery jars like they used to store scrolls in during Biblical times.  MFW gave us a recipe to make some clay, but fortunately, someone had given the girls a gift of a pottery wheel.  This was a messy project, but as usual, the girls loved it....the messier the better as far as they are concerned :)  And, no, you can't see the finished projects because though they are painted, they don't have the jewels glued on yet (that's my fault because I keep putting it off in order to accomplish other things...bad Mommy).

World Cake

Ok, last one for tonight.....another of our assignments was to make a world cake with all of the continents on it.  My brain (and my pride) said, "Oh, I've got this.  This is gonna be good."  What is that scripture says??  "Pride goes before a fall."  Yep.  I had envisioned this great sphere shaped cake with blue fondant water and green fondant continents.  Well, the cake pan I used didn't give me the pretty round shape I had thought it would.  Then, I didn't have enough blue fondant to cover the entire thing.  Lastly, the continents weren't nearly as easy to cut and shape as I had anticipated.  So though Mommy was failing, the girls reminded me this was their cake and they wanted to cut the continents.  So each one got to cut a few continents and "glue" them onto the cake.  They had fun and we reviewed the continents and that was the point.  I am humbled so often throughout this homeschool process. 


 
So, there is a quick glimpse into a few of the things we've been doing.  I'd like to detail them all but God only gave me 24 hours in a day :)

No comments: