Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Scrapbook Cake and 16th Birthday Cupcakes

I've been busy this week, covered up in sugar.  The upside is the house smells like a bakery (so does the car :)

Scrapbook Cake
This is a cake I did for Paige.  She is having a scrapbook party with a couple of her friends.  So, this is my attempt at a scrapbook.  I took two square cakes and put them side by side.  Then I shaved off a little of the two sides that formed the center.  It was iced and smoothed.  Then I made marks in the sides to look like pages (hard to see in the pix, easier in person).  I used edible images of two pictures...one of her and the other of her and the two friends coming to the party.  I have NO idea what happened, but the images starting crumbling and tearing as I was taking them off the backing.  I was able to use fondant accents to cover up the tears on Paige's picture, but there was no hope for the one of the friends.  Thank goodness the Easley's are laid back folks and didn't care....otherwise I would have been getting more images made.  I had also made a pair of scissors with a gumpaste/fondant mixture but they ended up being too big for the cake :(  Anyway, Paige was happy and that is all that matters!!


16th Birthday Cupcakes
These are some cupcakes I did for a friend at church.  Her daughter is turning 16 and wanted cupcakes.  She had a taste of the Reese's cupcakes I made last week and wanted those, but she also wanted some strawberry ones.
 This time I used my old faithful peanut butter icing recipe because it is stiffer but it has cocoa in it so I didn't do the chocolate drizzle. 

 The strawberry cupcakes had chunks of real strawberries baked in and they were so yummy.  The colors Taylor chose for her party were turquoise and purple (her favorite color).  So, I iced the cupcakes in purple and did an accent flower in turquoise fondant and put tiny edible pearls in the center of the flower.  These were alot of fun to do!!

No comments: