Friday, August 31, 2012

Jesus Sun Catcher

This is a sun catcher that we made for school today.  It was part of today's Bible lesson.  It was fun and I think it turned out beautifully :)   {It's prettier with the blinds open and the sun shining through, but I know in the picture you see glare.......sorry}
with blinds closed

with blinds open on a cloudy day......there is a little sun coming in
To make: First, I used a crayon sharpener to create crayon shavings.  Next, I used my Cricut to cut out two inch letters for Jesus' name out of construction paper.  Then, you cut two 9 inch squares of wax paper.  Arrange the letters on one piece of the wax paper and then sprinkle the crayon shavings all around.  Carefully place the other piece of wax paper on top.  Next, place the wax paper between two sheets of newspaper and iron on low setting.  This melts the crayon shavings and helps to stick the wax paper together.  Then, take four strips of paper and tape to the edges to make the border (I used double sided tape).  Punch two holes in the top and run some string/ribbon through and hang!  Ella is so proud of her project :)  And, I am proud of her :)

Again, I can't take credit for the creativity.  My Father's World teacher manuals are very thorough in giving you project ideas and instructions.  It even gave the idea to make another one using just red and green and hanging it at Christmas time.  I think that would turn out pretty.....we may have to do that later!
 
Another thing I wanted to add......when I had looked ahead last week at this lesson, one of my thoughts was "where am I going to get a newspaper from?"  We don't subscribe to one and I really didn't want to have to make a trip to get one.  Well, God provided!!  Occasionally when the Prattville Progress has leftover papers they will deliver them the day after.  This has happened only once or twice in the almost year we have been living here.  Guess what?  Literally a couple of days later, we got a leftover newspaper delivered to our house.  I know that may seem small to someone else, but it was a BIG deal for me (for a couple of reasons I choose not to share, but trust me.....it was HUGE!)  Thank you, Father!!

1 comment:

Cantina Camp said...

How cute!!! I know you all are having so much fun with school this year! Enjoy every minute of it my friend! :)