Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What's In a Name?

As I mentioned before, this year we will be studying the names of God in Ella's second grade curriculum.  So, we started by looking at what is in a name.  What do they mean?  Why are they special?

As suggested by the teacher's manual, I took the time to write each girl a letter (couldn't leave my kindergartener out of this ;) explaining what their names mean and why we chose those names for them.  Both girls found this very special.  I was actually surprised by Ella's response.  We had always kidded around that she was named after the neighbor's cat but didn't think she really thought that was the reason we chose her name.  After I explained the reason behind it, she was quite emotional and gave me a great big hug and said, "Thank you, Mommy.  I didn't know my name was so special."  It was a very sweet moment.  I always try to make sure my babies know how very special they are, but I know Ella feels special regarding her name now too.

To finish off the discussion, I helped them make name bracelets.  They had a blast!
Leah looking in the beads for her letters.

Ella's finished bracelet.

No comments: