Friday, August 24, 2012

Science with Air

This past week in science, we have been talking about the wind.  The fact that it exists even though we can't see it.  Then I remembered something I had seen on Pinterest that said:
          I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining.
          I believe in love even when I'm alone.
          I believe in God even when He is silent.

That made me link this lesson to to that.  We did a couple of experiments.  First, we made boats out of aluminum foil....the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria to be exact (since we have been studying Christopher Columbus this week).  The girls put them in the bathtub and blew them from one side of the tub (Spain) to the other side of the tub (North America).  They had a blast.  Second, they took cardboard-like books and used them to fan napkins across the kitchen floor.  They both had such a good time doing this.  They had several races to see whose napkin would cross the finish line first.  (Of course I can't take creative credit for these projects.....they are recommended by My Father's World....except I changed a piece of paper to a napkin :)

Anyway, when we concluded the lesson, I thought of the Pinterest quote.  So I reminded them that though we can't see the wind, we know it's there because we saw it move the objects.....just like we can't see God but we know He is there because we see the works He created and how He works in our lives.

Boat Experiment





Napkin Experiment

                                                                    

 

1 comment:

Cantina Camp said...

Sounds like a great time of learning! We did something similar a couple of weeks ago. We raced at blowing cotton balls to the other end of the table and then tried blowing them using a straw. My boys thought that was so much fun! I am so glad you are having a great and fun year of school so far! :)